About the winchester gate
Read more about the infamous “Winni”
Bar and Front of House Manager
The Winni Story
The Winchester Gate was built in the 16th Century, and has been a pub since 1732 when it was known as The Green Dragon. In 1873 it was renamed to the London Road Inn, and it wasn’t until 1974 that the pub was sold as a freehouse and renamed The Winchester Gate.
It is thought that the pub we know today used to be split in two, The area we know as The Snug was The Green Dragon, and the bar side known as The Cricketers. The Cricketers disappeared from records in 1866, and it is thought that this is when two became one.
Many interesting stories have been told around its history. The book “Public Houses and Inns of Salisbury” tells the tale of a woman who, in 1754 was stabbed and killed by the landlady for not paying her three pence bar tab!
In the present day, the license has been held by Robb and Abi Blake since 2016, with the vision to make The Winchester Gate Salisbury’s only dedicated Music and Arts pub. Over the years we have hosted acts such as Captain Accident and the Disasters, The Tribe, Funke and the Two Tone Baby, Skimmity Hitchers, Gaz Brookfield and many hundreds more!!
In 2020, whilst being closed for the majority of the year due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, we were incredibly grateful to receive funding from the Arts Council’s Culture Recovery Fund, which enabled us to build our outdoor venue, The Tent. This will enable us to host many more outdoor events,
come rain or shine.
The Winchester Gate are Proud to be part of…